Paranthas are the most popular breakfast staple in India.   |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- According to several studies, an early breakfast is linked to better management of diabetes, blood sugar, blood pressure, can induce weight loss and lower risk of insulin resistance as well.
- Filling, light and easy to make, poha is one of the most popular breakfast options on the table of an Indian and a weight watcher as well.
- Besan or chickpea flour is a super healthy and fibrous source of protein that speeds up your metabolism for the day to come thereby helping speed up the weight loss process.
New Delhi: Breakfast indeed is the most important meal of the day. After eight to ten hours of fasting while you sleep, fueling your body is essential. According to several studies, an early breakfast is linked to better management of diabetes, blood sugar, blood pressure, can induce weight loss and lower risk of insulin resistance as well. However, timing is not all that matters when it comes to a healthy breakfast; one needs to know what to eat as well.
A combination of carbohydrates and proteins is ideal for a complete and healthy breakfast; and for those who felt that Indian breakfast options only include deep fried foods and high-fat, unhealthy options like chhole bhature and aloo puri, here’s some good news. Desi breakfast options include both proteins and carbs in good quantities if you know what to choose.
Keep reading to find out the best desi breakfast options that are super light and healthy for those on a weight loss spree.
- Poha: Filling, light and easy to make, poha is one of the most popular breakfast options on the table of an Indian and a weight watcher as well. The Marathi speciality is rich in fibre, healthy carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Add a hint of lemon juice, peanuts and chillies to give it a touch of flavour and make it a weight loss staple as well.
- Masala omelette: A masala omelette with a touch of some onions, tomatoes, green chillies, mushrooms and some milk to add fluffiness is another super filling and healthy desi breakfast option. Serve it with toasted multigrain bread and a protein-rich and delicious desi meal is ready.
- Besan cheela: Besan or chickpea flour is a super healthy and fibrous source of protein that speeds up your metabolism for the day to come thereby helping speed up the weight loss process. Besan cheela accompanied by some mint chutney – no ketchup due to its sugar and cornflour content – can help keep you full for longer and speed up the weight loss process as well. The same can be prepared with chana dal and moong dal – protein-rich sources – in desi ghee for maximum benefits.
- Idli: Made with rice or with semolina (suji), idli is one of the healthiest breakfast options for those on a weight loss spree. Serve it with some coconut chutney or sambhar or both and you’ve got a complete meal. Rich in carbs, fibre, proteins, healthy fats and vitamins, idli is an ideal breakfast and evening snack for all those who are trying to shed additional pounds.
- Mixed vegetable, multigrain paranthas: Paranthas are the most popular breakfast staple in India. Stuffed with boiled potatoes, cauliflower, cottage cheese, methi and so on, these are usually served with butter, curd and pickle. However, to give parathas an additional touch of nutrition, prepare the dough with wheat, bajra, jowar, chickpea and corn flour in equal quantities and add spices to it. Prepare the filling with the vegetables that you like best and cook it in desi ghee, serve with some curd, raita or pickle on the side and you’ve got a healthy, filling meal.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
Get the Latest health news, healthy diet, weight loss, Yoga, and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now
India’s most comprehensive action plan will evolve at THE TIMES NOW SUMMIT – Celebrating India @75 | Shaping India @100. Visit www.timesnowsummit.com confirm your presence on 10, 11 Nov in New Delhi.